Re: Why it's so difficult to fix PowerMac booting for good

Hello!

On Sun, 2023-05-28 at 23:36 +0200, Linux User #330250 wrote:
> In this scenario /dev/sda2, the HFS boot configuration with a static
> GRUB, would never get mounted. There's no need to. All it does is load
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg, and this is on /dev/sda3, an ext2/3/4 or any other
> suitable filesystem that the static GRUB on the NewWorld Bootblock has
> modules for.
>
> Only when GRUB itself gets a version bump would the maintainer of the
> NewWorld Bootblock image (on /dev/sda2 in the example) have to update
> the package, which would have to be reinstalled = rewritten to the
> partition (/dev/sda2 in the example) in order to get the version update
> for the included GRUB binary image as well.

You're underestimating the number of times the GRUB package gets updated,
that happens a lot [1] which is why I don't think your suggestion to use a
static GRUB image is ever going to fly.

What we need is a free implementation of the HFS(+) utilities which is what
I am trying to achieve now. This is the only proper solution as it integrates
with the design of debian-installer.

Any other approaches like this hack to supply a static image would make things
much more complicated. In particular, I don't think the other maintainers within
debian-installer would be amused if I placed a static HFS image several hundred
megabytes inside into a udeb package that has currently an unpacked size of 168
kilobytes [2].

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz