Re: Why it's so difficult to fix PowerMac booting for good

On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 02:14:16PM +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> As per `grub-install(8)`:
>
> ```
> grub-install copies GRUB images into boot/grub.
> ```
>
> As the call to `grub-install` is performed by `chroot` inside the root
> FS of the new installation, I assume the FAT bootstrap partition is
> already mounted as `/boot` at this time of the installation. I think
> this happens after all data partitions were formatted earlier during the
> Debian installation but before any files are installed. Thus making the
> call succeed w/o an explicit boot device or target directory argument.

I am pretty sure /boot can NOT be fat since it has to store files from
packages (like the kernel).  /boot/grub on the other hand might be able
to be fat.  Similar to how you can have /boot/efi be fat on x86 but not
/boot itself.

--
Len Sorensen