Re: New Debian Sid installation - how to?

Hi Martina!

On Wed, 2023-05-17 at 10:32 +0200, Martina Hřebcová wrote:
> Yes, I am used HFS ( not+) partition, with /boot/grub mountpoint. And
> ext4 / partition.
>
> In evening I will check also ext2 /boot/grub partition, and also try
> install all together to single / ext4 partition, if installer allows it.
> Of course, Mac will not boot in this case, but at least I can try whole
> installation process.

That does not work. /boot/grub must be an HFS partition, otherwise the
installation of the GRUB bootloader will fail. I recommend using the
default partition layout for the time being.

> > > If I skip installation of grub, do somebody know where I can find tested
> > > grub package? Or I try do it manually with .iso grub directory.
> > There is no tested grub package as the packages are constantly updated.
> OK I will try some things manually.
> > Your issue could be a hardware problem, too. I will give it a try inside QEMU later.
>
> Yes it could. My Powermac Quad has now issues with thermal calibration,
> I have to check and clean everything. Fortunatelly it has no coolant
> leakage. But other hardware like disk controllers woks fine under OSX
> and MorphOS.

In most cases it's a memory module problem and it's not unusual that the
problem shows with some operating systems only.

> I have also iMac G5 stored in basement, so I can try installation here.
> But later, my daughter is getting married this weekend :-)))

Testing on a different machine is definitely a very good idea!

PS: All the best for your daughter's marriage!

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer