Re: eMac video modes

Hi Ed!

On 4/1/20 4:23 PM, Ed Robbins wrote:
> Back in December I was able to get sid running on my eMac using a net
> install image and a custom EDID binary. This is necessary due to the
> strange timings of the eMac monitor. Furthermore it is necessary to put the
> EDID binary into the initramfs by creating a hook, otherwise the eMac
> monitor refuses to switch to the new mode when an incorrect mode was used
> during the initial boot. I posted about this on the Linux on powerpc macs
> facebook group and have been supporting it there [1].

While I have a Facebook account, I rarely use it. So whatever gets posted
there is, oblivious to me.

> I wondered if it is possible to directly support eMac machines by
> supporting this in the installer and taking the necessary steps during
> installation? Is this something that you would be happy to have upstream?

Depending on what it's involved to achieve that, absolutely yes.

> I do not know how to go about adding this but I am happy to do testing
> (including committing to release testing) or try to add the support myself
> if you could provide some pointers?

Just let me know what needs to be patched where and how. Then I can figure
out how we can upstream this.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz