Re: rescue of install / booting from USB

On 1/1/19 7:48 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
To boot it, enter in Open-Firmware and "boot usb". I get into the First Stage GNU/Linux bootstrap and type "l" for GNU/Linux. I get:

Decrementer exception at  %SRR0: 001001d8  %%SRR1: 10003030

First, what gives `devalias usb` on your machine?

no alias

Then, what happens if you boot with `boot usb:,\install\yaboot`? Prior to that you can also check with `dir usb:,\` if you can actually list the files on the USB device.

The correct command on my machine is

boot usb0/disk@1:,\install\yaboot

With that I can boot the 7.11 USB key I made (maybe it worked also before)

now however I perhaps need some magic to fix things. I am able to get into the "ash" and mount my hard disk, so I have on /cdrom my local key stuff and in /mnt my target. I an also mount the small HFS partition which contains 3 files:

ofboot.b

yaboot

yaboot.conf

What could I do to transplant Yaboot ? Where does it live? I suppose both a file in the linux partition as well as one in the small HFS partition I have, right?

I thought that they USB key would also have two partition, mac-fdisk lists sdb1 and sdb2, sdb1 being mounted, but I cannot mount sdb2 (HFS), no device node exists for that

Any tricks off-heads for the frankenstein Yaboot I want to attempt?

Riccardo