Re: Debian on iBook

> Hi Mick!
>
> On 07/30/2018 10:01 AM, Mick Bert wrote:
>> I subscribed this list beacuse I got an old apple iBook, and I am looking for an operative system to keep it alive.
>
> You're at the right place then if that operating system is Linux.
>
>> Currently a Lubuntu is installed, I am not so much satisfied. I heard somewhere that Debian if perhaps the latest supported distribution for PowerPC architecture, but I realize just now that older processors are not supported any more by the latest stable version.
>
> Yes, the latest stable version of Debian dropped support for 32-Bit
> PowerPC. However, you can still install the unstable version of Debian
> which should run smoothly on your iBook (at least it does on my iBook G4).
>
> You can fetch the installation image here:
>
>> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/10.0/powerpc/iso-cd/
>
> Let me know if you run into issues. There have been recently changes
> on the server side for PowerPC for which we should build fresh
> installation images. But I haven't done this for a while now.
>
> If the installation fails, I have a good reason to finally do that.

Actually the installation fails, already at boot time: it leads to something
like an openfirmware console, where I can either reboot or shutdown:

Decrementer exception at %SRR0: 001001d8 %SRR1: 10003030

Apple PowerBook6,5 4.8.7f1 BootROM built on 09/23/04 at 16:13:38
Copyright 1994-2004 Apple Computer, Inc
All Righs Reserved.
Welcome to Open Firmware, the system time and date is: 22:07:38 07/31/2018
  The battery capacity is: 76 percent

To continue booting, type "mac-boot" and press return
To shut down, type "shut-down" and press retur.

 ok
0 >

With mac-boot it repeats all the boot, getting back to this screen.
If I remove the CD, it boots regularly to the old installation of LUbuntu

Any hint?
--
Mick