Re: Installer from Ports, ppc 32 bit : "No kernel modules found"[was: Re: problem with page /ports/powerpc/]

Hi Adrian, hi All

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 00:14:50 +0100
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Wolfgang!
>
> On 12/03/2017 11:59 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > "No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch
> > between the kernel used by this version of the installer and the
> > kernel version available in the archive.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up, I knew I would have forgotten something.
>
> I have to rebuild debian-installer to match the 4.14 kernel. The
> current version of debian-installer on the installation images is
> built against 4.13 but unstable has kernel 4.14. I will fix this
> tomorrow.

I forgot this - no idea whether it's important:
Yaboot (?) says after booting someth. like this:
"Warning: Bootstrap partition type is wrong: "Apple_HFS"
                type should be "Apple_Bootstrap""

> > Oh: what X environment for this very old, but still working
> > machine, is recommendable: I thought about some minimal X,
> > extremely lightweight. Just xorg? How do I do this?
>
> You can use something like fvwm, awesome or i3-wm.

Thanks! I'll have a look at the last two from above ...

> > [ ... ]
>
> > No wayland, under no circumstances. Please! .. :)
>
> Why not? Wayland actually uses *less* resources than X, much less.
> [ ... ]

The "less reources" part sounds promising - but the rest:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F27_bugs#Wayland_issues
And no: I don't want to start a debate about wayland here .... ;)

And for the archives: I used this fine manual for usb booting the
installer: it's around five years old but here it worked:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2012/08/msg00042.html

The only "pain" on OF was finding '@' ':' and '\' on the qwertz
keyboard. IIRC:
'@' --> <shift>-'2'
':'   -->  <shift>-'ö'

Thanks a lot to everyone involved for the ppc ports installer

Regards
Wolfgang