can't boot debian etch beta 2 install cd or stable cd on imac g3 revA 233mhz

Hello list folk

I am trying to bring an ancient imac g3 233 back into service but am
having trouble booting the kernel from yaboot. I can boot the install CD
and am presented with the yaboot prompt but when i type install or
install video=ofonly I get something like 'can't boot kernel' (stable)
or Can't read Elf e_ident/e_type/e_machine info (etch) and the kernel
does not even get started. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? I've
tried it with ubuntu as well with the same result as etch.

Do I need a firmware upgrade? I'm pretty sure it's had this, but can try...

cheers

matthew