Re: Howto Improve Performance?

Hi Rainer,

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Rainer Gutkas wrote:

I run Ubuntu Hoary on a G3 Powerbook Pismo with 400 MHz CPU ,630 MB Ram,
30 Gigs Harddisk, Orinocco Wlan Card,...... and I'd like to improve the performance of the system, as much as possible.

Well, with not too much $$ (and I guess that is all very relative to how
much $$ you have to spend on this), you might be able to get a bit more
out of your PB.

You have a ton of RAM, so I don't think you're limited there.  Depending
on what kind of hard drive you have, you may consider a 7200 rpm laptop
drive.  If you have something along the lines of a 5400 rpm drive with 8
or 16 MB of cache, the performance increase is probably not worth it.
But if you have a 4500 rpm drive, that upgrade might be worth doing.

I run a CPU - Meter and it shows that the CPU gets totaly busy when it's
got to do lot's of Graphic operations, like displaying Apllication Windows,
too many progress bar's, moving windows around, playing Flash, DVD's or
movies.  So I guess a faster window Manager than Gnome would be a good
improvement, but which would suite my needs?

Are you sure you're using hardware acceleration in X ?  Your machine has
an ATI Rage 128 chip.  I've never played around with GNOME a whole lot,
but the little I used Ubuntu on x86 last year (on a sub 400 MHz machine,
but with ~ 400 M RAM), it was usable.  Make sure you have support for
the ATI 128 chip in your kernel framebuffer, and that X is using the
right driver.

I should mention that I like Gnome a lot, so there shouldn't be too much difference.

If you want something lighter weight, but relatively fully featured, I've
heard good things about xfce, and maybe even enlightenment could be an
option.

I guess I could do a lot of kernel improvements, but also don't know which screw to flip where, so I get an optimized system.

Not sure how much performance improvement you'll get.  Once all your
hardware is supported, you should be fine.  Stripping out non-used
devices or services doesn't buy you much, except in cases when memory
footprint is critical (e.g. embedded systems or systems with really low
RAM - clearly not your case :)

cheers
vinai