Re: 43p-140 install issues

message resent on the list because an accident.

> On Jan 5, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Philippe Guyot wrote:
> >>
> >> Is the problem really the size of the partition, or the space used by
> >> the
> >> kernel. I mean we could make a 100MB partition at start, and since we
> >> just
> >> dd the kernel to it, the kernel would be found at the start of the
> >> partition, and the firmware probably doesn't care about the real size
> >> of
> >> the partition, as long as it can access all the kernel data we dded
> >> to it,
> >> no ?
> >
> > I agree, see the IEEE P1275 on solinno's site. OF determines the load
> > image
> > length and transfers only that. I was able to verify that by dumping
> > storage
> > after a "load" when debugging boot process.
>
> Are you specifically talking about booting from a PReP partition and
> not a floppy disk or netboot? Did you dump the bytes from the disk just
> after the kernel and see if they were also present in memory?

I saw there were 0x00 after the kernel....may be a mistake ?
I'll try again.

> I have no doubt that OF will correctly load an ELF file, but a PReP
> boot partition does not contain an ELF file.

Yes, but the layout of the partition, described in docs pointed below allow OF
to do this way.

> >> Do we have some documentation of the firmware limitations ?
> >
> > Yes, on solinnos's site.
>
> That page (http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/getstarted.php) doesn't
> mention any restrictions on the size of the PReP boot partition, so
> it's clearly not a complete list. :)

just have a look on http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/docs/
specially in prep/srp1-103 chapter 5

Felipe