Re: booting a kernel through open firmware.

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Chris Tillman wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 09:58:20AM -0400, Fred Heitkamp wrote:
> >

> The instructions for using yaboot are in the manual (link in my .sig).

Thanks!

> OpenFirmware is not a boot loader; yaboot was designed to bridge the
> gap between OF and the kernel. If you'd like to see how it works,
> download the source and check it out.

I will.

I realize that OF is not a boot loader and I said I new I could
use yaboot.  I probably will install yaboot.  I made a partition
for it on my disk.  I have Linux already installed on a disk
and want to boot that setup through OF and install yaboot from
there.  That might be a weird way to do it, but that's what I
wanted to try.  Also I see launching a linux kernel from the
OF prompt as a good fall back if I hose other booting setups
somehow. (I do that occasionally.)

I've looked through a number of OF docs from the Apple website, but
I did not see a good explanation of how the device paths are
structured.

Is there a command like "probe-scsi" from the Sun OF on the
Macintosh?

Fred