Re: confused by yaboot

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

>I guess that explains my previous question: since I boot kernels from
FAT on a
>MSDOS formatted disk, I guess the answer is no :-(

This depends what your OF supports, and PC-like disklabel support can be
added to yaboot quite easily (I plan to do this one of these days). If
yaboot doesn't understand the partition map format, it forwards the
request to OF. So if OF itself understands it, it may work.

The ability to run yaboot on something else than a newworld Mac depends
on what is supported by your Open Firmware implementation. You may need
to hack a bit in yaboot source (which, I hope, is clean enough to make
this easy). Also, yaboot currently is an ELF executable (so your OF must
be able to load ELF) and needs to be located at the correct address
specifies in the ELF header.

I suggest you give it a try and see what's up and if something needs to
be fixed, I'll be glad to help fix it. You can compile yaboot in DEBUG
mode (definition in the Makefile), it will dump a bunch of debug infos in
OF console.