Re: `du' control files

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980215213312.13528A-100000@monet>,
Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> wrote:

>Consider a future version of deity which checks out /etc/fstab, reads in
>the du files, sums up the du entries according to the local filesystem
>structure, and opens a nice dialog window which displays the disk space
>usage for each selected package--splitted up into the local filesystem
>structure.
>
>Of course, this all is still `science fiction' since there is currently no
>tool to use the du files. With that, you are definitely right that they
>are just wasted disk space.
>
>So, does everyone here agree that we explicitely forbid the use of `du'
>files (and check this via lintian bug reports)?

My goodness, you've done a complete U-turn in the space of just three
paragraphs!  <applause!>

No, please do NOT outlaw du files.  They are VERY small and do no harm.
True, they aren't standard or mandated by policy, but neither are
md5sums files.  For now, these are both experimental and optional.

People, please don't forbid `du' control files unless you also forbid
`md5sums'.

Thanks,

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>

PS: If my messages seem late or out-of-date, it's because I'm
    communicating in batch mode via floppy-disk-net!