Re: PW#5-12: New upload procedure

On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 06:34:57PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > I would prefer `close', `closes' OR `closed' (but obviously only one
>
> Anyways, we had this discussion a few times already. As I remember from
> last time, you (Ian) were the only one who preferred `closes'.

I also was on that side and, if memory still supports me, I told it.

> Which term do the others prefer?

closes

> > >    * Relaxed syntax of pattern which detects `fixes' lines: spaces are
> > >      allowed in some places, pattern is case-insensitive, "bug" can be
> > >      omitted
> >
> > I disagree most strongly.  Use of a strict pattern is not just to
> > avoid accidents; it also promotes careful behaviour.
>
> The reason to relax the syntax was that a) people said it's hard to
> remember the strict syntax since it's somewhat `unnatural' and b) it's not
> a big problem if a bug gets closed by accident.

c) editors can break a line after a punctuation mark like : or a coma.
please allow blanks there and let multirow parsing.

If Ian wants anyway to modify dpkg-parsechangelog or dpkg-genchanges,
then the proposal (already discarded) to have a pre-parsing at build
time, revealing the bug numbers to be closed, could be re-considered.

Fabrizio