Re: Is Dermot Bradley Dead?

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Chris Waters wrote:

> Just curious.  The pilot-link package in potato seems to have been
> broken to the point of unusability for some time.  Do we need a new
> maintainer?  I'm not enthusiastic about volunteering, but I'd probably
> be willing to take over if Dermot has vanished and no one else wants the
> job.

I'm still here. What problem(s) exactly are you having with pilot-link?
Have you submitted any bug reports?

> I would have some questions for those who have been using the Debian
> pilot tools a little longer than I have though, like, why was the
> library split out of pilot-link into a separate package?  And would
> newer versions of the pilot-link package really be compatible with
> libraries from older versions?   Since the library is part of the source
> package, it seems to me that the upstream maintainers might not be as
> careful as they could about changing SO names and such.  But I'm not
> familiar enough with the package to be sure one way or the other.

The libraries can be used by other applications that want to communicate
with a Palm Pilot directly rather than having to call pilot-link to do it.
For this reason they were separated out from the main package.

I have download the latest 0.9.x release and hope to release an updated
"potato" package soon. I just wanted to wait until "slink" was released. I
already had a problem were a bug report against the potato pilot-link
almost resulted in pilot-link being pulled from slink (even though the
reported problem did not apply to slink - this has thankfully sorted out).

Dermot

--
Dermot Bradley
bradley@oldcolo.com, bradley@debian.org