Re: upstream-vcs

Dominique Dumont wrote (28 Dec 2013 19:04:24 GMT) :
> On Monday 23 December 2013 04:06:30 gregor herrmann wrote:
>> - And then, the very general question: What does this buy us? At
>>   first glance, tracking upstream git sounds very sexy but what are
>>   the concrete advantages?

> There's an obvious drawback for distributions using Dist::Zilla: the code may
> be modified during packaging. (for instance to nail down $VERSION in all pm
> files)

> So the content of the repo may not match what's available on CPAN.

As a Dist::Zilla user myself, I think I see what you mean, but I fail
to get what are the *practical* drawbacks for us, since what we're
packaging (assuming we use git-import-orig --uscan --upstream-vcs-tag)
is the content of the released upstream tarball (with the upstream tag
as an additional ancestor of the merge commit in our "upstream"
branch).

May you please elaborate?

Cheers,
--