Re: Today I played with dh-make-perl...

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Don Armstrong dijo [Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:34:46AM -0700]:
> > No. A dependency on perl is sufficient (and correct) as it pulls in
> > perl-base and perl-modules itself. [Perl modules must have a versioned
> > dependency on one of perl or perl-base; the former is correct in all
> > but unusual circumstances.]
>
> Right. But somebody might want to use dh-make-perl to create packages
> meant for -say- embedded systems, not depending on having the full
> Perl but only base-perl. So, say:
>
> $ dh-make-perl --build --cpan Some::Module --basepkgs perl-base
>
> Of course, if Some::Module depends on a module provided by
> perl-modules, apt-file would find and add it as a dependency.
>
> Humh... Although the generated debian/control still lists
> so I'm not gaining anything by this :-/ So, any pointers, or do you
> suggest me to roll back this option at all?

In that case, the debian/rules file should be calling dh_perl -d;
though the option should probably have the caveat that Brendan (or
later perl maintainers) reserve the caveat to move modules out of
perl-base, so caution may need to be exercised.

[Having actually built a few packages in this situtation, I agree that
this option is useful.]

Don Armstrong

--
Leukocyte... I am your father.