Re: updating the project ideas list

On 2018-02-17, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 9:47 PM, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org>
> wrote:
>> My assumption and/or preference would be that projects clearly related
>> to Debian or very directly beneficial to Debian be given first
>> consideration.  Maybe that's a reasonable expectation, maybe not.
>
> Remember that the aim of GSoC is not just to get some work done for
> the involved organization. In fact the work done by the students may be
> totally useless and be throwed away. The main aim is to get students
> involved with the communities.

Sure. And it's a laudable goal. I'm pesonally even more excited by
Outreachy's goals.

I'm concerned about brushing it aside because it's not "the aim of
GSoC".

If a talk is given and Debian is listed in the talk title, on all the
slides, and is mentioned throughout the talk, then I can (and did) see
how an audience might get confused and worse and grill the speaker(s)
about what it has to do with Debian. (I'd like to stress that I surely
don't think that was anyone's intention, or there's any need to find
blame in anyone).

Maybe some people think trial by fire is a good thing; maybe in Debian
it's even a harsh reality; I don't think putting newcomers in a position
of public ridicule and/or humiliation is a good introduction to our
community. I don't think it serves Debian, GSoC or Outreachy, or the
Free/Libre Open Source communities at large to let that happen again.

That seems like something to either avoid entirely by selecting projects
where the relationship with Debian is self-evident, or at the very least
have a clear plan for how to handle similar situations that may come up.

That's probably enough/too much said for now...

live well,
  vagrant