Re: Transition needed for Octave 6.3.0?

Le mercredi 15 septembre 2021 à 14:05 +0200, Rafael Laboissière a
écrit :
> * Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2021-09-15 12:39]:
>
> > Instead of creating another separate shared library package for
> > liboctinterp, the idea would rather be to drop the liboctave package
> > and to turn the liboctave and liboctinterp shared libraries into
> > private ones, as is actually done by upstream (incidentally, we could
> > therefore the install_libraries_publically.patch that we have carried
> > over for a long time). Making those libraries private was also the
> > recommendation of a Release Team member.¹
> >
> > Previously it was necessary to have these libraries installed in a
> > public location, because .oct files were linked against them (and dpkg-
> > shlibdeps would complain if they were kept private). But since Octave
> > 5, .oct files no longer link against liboctave and liboctinterp.² So we
> > should now be able to make those libraries private.
> >
> > I have verified on a specific Forge package (octave-struct) that it
> > works as expected.
> >
> > The only exception is octave-nlopt, which explicitly links against
> > liboctave8 (because it does not use mkoctfile and rather has its own
> > build system). However I have a working patch that fixes the issue.
> >
> > In parallel, if we go down that road, then I would suggest to rename
> > liboctave-dev to octave-dev (since there will no longer be a liboctave*
> > package). Of course, we would implement a transitional package for one
> > or two release cycles.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > ¹ https://lists.debian.org/debian-octave/2018/10/msg00001.html
> > ² https://lists.debian.org/debian-octave/2019/10/msg00002.html
>
> I agree with this plan. Thanks for proposing it.

Thanks, I have made the upload to experimental (waiting in the NEW
queue because of the renaming liboctave-dev→octave-dev).

I have already pushed a change to dh-octave for this renaming. Of
course it should not be uploaded until octave 6.3.0 hits unstable.

When octave 6.3.0 clears NEW and hits experimental, I will request the
transition slot. It should normally be a smooth transition.

NB: In my previous message, I forgot to mention that dynare will also
need a sourceful upload to adapt for the removal of liboctave8 (as does
nlopt).

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer