octave-symbolic and sympy

Dear Georges,

Since the upload of sympy 1.7, the autopkgtest of octave-symbolic fails
(and the package FTFBS), see bug #980707.¹ As a consequence, sympy 1.7
has not yet migrated into testing.

The problem has been forwarded to octave-symbolic’s upstream, but so
far there has been no answer. I’m not fluent enough in Python/SymPy to
solve it myself.

If nothing is done, octave-symbolic will be removed from testing in one
week, and sympy 1.7 will migrate to testing (and thus be in bullseye).

I think that from a user’s perspective, it’s more important to have an
up-to-date sympy in bullseye than to have octave-symbolic. But if you
have an idea how to fix the problem and have both in bullseye, that
would be great.

Best,

¹ https://bugs.debian.org/980707

--