Re: Forge packages recompiled against Octave 5 no longer depend on liboctave7

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2019-10-03 15:24]:

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2019-10-02 09:27]:

* Mike Miller <mtmiller@debian.org> [2019-10-01 14:34]:

Maybe instead of a dependency on a specific liboctaveN, we could have dh-octave inject dependencies on "octave (>= 5.1~), octave (<< 6)"? This is essentially the stability promise we are aiming to provide now upstream.

Would this be enough? What will happen if, in the 5.2 release, the soname is bumped from liboctave7 to liboctave8?

Another possibility is to have dh-octave injecting the specific liboctaveN dependency, according to the version of octave used to build the package. What do you think?

Okay, I implemented a possible solution along this lines. You can try it with:

git clone git@salsa.debian.org:pkg-octave-team/dh-octave.git dh-octave
cd dh-octave
git checkout inject-liboctaveN
debuild -us -uc
sudo debi

This will install version 0.6.2.0~ in your system. This version contains changes in dh_octave_substvar. The idea is very simple: if the binary package contains *.oct or *.mex files, then the appropriate liboctaveN is added to the list of dependencies, according to this correspondence table:

3.4.3-1 liboctave0
3.6.1-1 liboctave1
3.8.0~rc1-1 liboctave2
4.0.0 liboctave3
4.0.0-4 liboctave3v5
4.2.0-1 liboctave4
4.3.91-1 liboctave5
4.4.1-1 liboctave6
5.0.91-1 liboctave7

which indicates in which version of the octave Debian package each soname was introduced. The comparison is done against the version of Octave used to build the current package.

Please, tell me what you think.

Rafael