Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Packaging Octave 3.8

Le mercredi 11 décembre 2013 à 09:03 -0500, Mike Miller a écrit :
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:24:24 +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> > Le mardi 10 décembre 2013 à 23:27 +0100, Rafael Laboissiere a écrit :
> >> * Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2013-12-10 12:59]:

> >> Yes, please, split the packages.  People running Octave from batches
> >> (like I do, sometimes) will appreciate it.
> >
> > I just realized that there is one added complexity with this approach.
> > We will have two packages providing octave: one will be just "octave"
> > like now (containing the binary which can do both GUI and command-line),
> > and "octave-cli" (containing the binary which can do only command-line).
> > It would therefore be logic to modify most reverse dependencies, like
> > the 'Forge packages, to depend on "octave | octave-cli", in order not to
> > force people to install the GUI-capable version (which would defeat the
> > purpose of splitting the packages).
>
> I don't see the added complexity, maybe I am missing something. The
> octave package will contain /usr/bin/octave and /usr/bin/octave-cli, as
> well as all the oct-files as it does today. This is all that is needed
> to run CLI-mode octave, run m-file scripts, and install Forge packages.
>
> The new octave-gui package will contain /usr/bin/octave-gui and depend
> on the octave package. It's an added layer instead of an alternative.

Sorry I just realized that, with your proposed splitting scheme (the GUI
in octave-gui), it is indeed not necessary to modify
reverse-dependencies.

However how do you see that evolve when the GUI becomes the default with
Octave 4.0? Will /usr/bin/octave be linked against liboctgui?

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot
: :' :    Debian Developer