Re: Debian package available for OCaml-R.

Mehdi Dogguy a écrit :
To Maxence: are you planning to make a release soon? Do you think it is
appropriate to distribute ocaml-r in Debian in its current state?

I believe that it's more important to have a package in Debian people
can tinker with than to have no OCaml/R binding.

IMO, if the bindings are not releasable for upstream then they are far
from to be releasable for Debian. If you really want to push that in
Debian, then you'll have to upload it in experimental.

-1- You know better, obviously, and I won't argue too much on this.

-2- Let's wait for Maxence to come back from vacation so that he can give us his opinion.

-3- Experimental is fine with me.

I think that users willing to test the bindings are smart enough to
download it and compile it.

I agree, and disagree.

I disagree because there is many situations where you may want something operational without too much hassle. Either simply for convenience, for quick and easy demonstration if you're a consultant, for not bothering with -fPIC, -custom, -dllpath, nm -D, etc... if you're a R programmer with a background in stats and little background in CS.

For instance, compiling OCaml-R on my amd64 was not that smooth.

So I'd rather see it in experimental than nowhere else. I also think that this binding would gain from visibility in the sense that I've heard some people with interest in R express interest in Haskell/OCaml.

From upstream website:

« Le développement d'OCaml-R vient de commencer et est en grand chantier. »

Yes, but the webpage also hasn't been updated in a while. So let's wait for Maxence to come back from vacation to allow him to comment.

All the best,

Guillaume Yziquel.