Re: Problem with DD application when you are DM

Hi Tiago,

On 07/03/14 04:20, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Yes! Tomasz, your process will start when you receive indications from
> > > your advocates. This is an automagic process.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Eriberto
> >
> > Dear Andreas and Eriberto,
> > thanks for information. I think it is not clear on the application
> > page and I propose to make it more clear by explicitely stating
> > "automagical" triggering of the process and future steps after that
> > (that part is completely missing).
>
> I'm wondering what's not clear in the https://nm.debian.org/public/newnm
> (which is linked in https://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-checklist)
>
> "You can now submit the form, and you will get an email with a link to
> visit to confirm your data. The link will be encrypted with your GPG
> key. Once you have confirmed, other Debian Developers can go to your
> personal page and advocate you for what you require."
>
> > Also, it is not obvious how the applicant can submit his short bio and
> > state his/her future Debian login.
>
> also from https://nm.debian.org/public/newnm:
>
> "Short presentation
>
> Finally, please tell something about yourself, how you came to Debian
> and Free Software, and why you want to volunteer your time. Please
> describe the contributions you have made to Debian, your primary areas
> of interest and any goals you wish to accomplish.
>
> The intention is to use this to introduce you publicly to the rest of
> the project: it will be shown on your personal page on nm.debian.org and
> posted to the debian-newmaint mailing list, which is publicly archived."
>
> and
>
> "User name
>
> Please select a username. You will need this if you are requesting a
> guest account on Debian machines, or if you are going to become a Debian
> Developer. This is not needed for Debian Maintainers, but if you want,
> you can reserve one now. [...]"
>
> Regards,

The parts you mention are clear and will work flawlessly for somebody who
is not a DM. If you have read my first e-mail you would have know that I cannot
submit the form since it complains that my e-mail and GPG key are already
in the database.

There are two different workflows for applicants:

   (1) if you are not in the database yet => submit the form and follow the instructions
   (2) if you are in the database (any DM I presume) => ask your advocates to advocate
       for you and everything will trigger *automagically*; instructions how to proceed
       in this case are unclear to me:

        * will I get an encrypted e-mail like in (1)?
        * how can I submit my bio as in (1)?
        * how can I choose my future Debian login as in (1)?

Basically, I claim that the section "If you already have an entry in the system"
is not verbose enough. That's it.

> --
>   .''`.  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz                         GPG  :      4096R/E4B6813D
>  : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
>  `. `'   tiago _at_ {acaia.ca, debian.org}            IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
>    `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org

Cheers,
Tomasz