AM report for Modestas Vainius

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Modestas
   Last name:       Vainius
   Key fingerprint: 9E8C CC49 180D 6A15 00B4  0088 1CEF 4946 73EA E214
   Account:         modax
   Forward email:   modestas@vainius.eu

   ID check passed, key signed by ~6 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
./keycheck.sh 73EAE214
Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
Receiving and checking key
gpg: requesting key 73EAE214 from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
pub   1024D/73EAE214 2003-12-29
      Key fingerprint = 9E8C CC49 180D 6A15 00B4  0088 1CEF 4946 73EA E214
uid                  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!         C99E03CC 2007-04-06  Jurij Smakov <jurij@debian.org>
sig!         01FA8B4A 2007-12-16  Sune Vuorela <sune@vuorela.dk>
sig!         E8C43461 2007-12-17  Ana Beatriz Guerrero López <ana@ekaia.org>
sig!         90E5CA46 2007-12-22  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)
<faw@debian.org>
sig!         EA7CF5AD 2007-12-26  Nicolas FRANÃOIS <nekral@debian.org>
sig!3        73EAE214 2007-04-06  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!         6AA572F7 2007-12-17  Fathi Boudra <fabo@debian.org>
uid       [ revoked] Modestas Vainius <modax@centras.lt>
sig!3        73EAE214 2007-04-06  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!3        73EAE214 2004-04-20  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
rev!         73EAE214 2007-12-23  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!         6AA572F7 2007-12-17  Fathi Boudra <fabo@debian.org>
uid                  Modestas Vainius <modax@vainius.eu>
uid                  Modestas Vainius <geromanas@mailas.com>
sig!         01FA8B4A 2007-12-16  Sune Vuorela <sune@vuorela.dk>
sig!         E8C43461 2007-12-17  Ana Beatriz Guerrero López <ana@ekaia.org>
sig!         90E5CA46 2007-12-22  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)
<faw@debian.org>
sig!         EA7CF5AD 2007-12-26  Nicolas FRANÃOIS <nekral@debian.org>
sig!3        73EAE214 2004-04-20  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!3        73EAE214 2007-04-06  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!         6AA572F7 2007-12-17  Fathi Boudra <fabo@debian.org>
uid       [ revoked] Modestas Vainius <geromanas@bgxmail.net>
rev!         73EAE214 2006-03-28  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!3        73EAE214 2005-08-13  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!         6AA572F7 2007-12-17  Fathi Boudra <fabo@debian.org>
uid       [ revoked] Modestas Vainius <geromanas@myquickmail.com>
rev!         73EAE214 2006-03-28  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!3        73EAE214 2005-08-12  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!         6AA572F7 2007-12-17  Fathi Boudra <fabo@debian.org>
uid                  Modestas Vainius <modestas.vainius@gmail.com>
sig!         EA7CF5AD 2007-12-26  Nicolas FRANÃOIS <nekral@debian.org>
sig!3        73EAE214 2007-12-23  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
uid                  [jpeg image of size 11505]
sig!         E8C43461 2007-12-17  Ana Beatriz Guerrero López <ana@ekaia.org>
sig!3        73EAE214 2007-10-30  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
sig!         6AA572F7 2007-12-17  Fathi Boudra <fabo@debian.org>
sub   1024g/2D469E2A 2003-12-29
sig!         73EAE214 2003-12-29  Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>

10 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.  Good!
Check for key expire stuff
Valid "e" flag on key 0x1CEF494673EAE214, no expiration
Valid "s" flag on key 0x1CEF494673EAE214, no expiration

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:
My name is Modestas Vainius. I was born and currently live in Vilnius, the
capital of Lithuania, in 1984. Up until now, I graduated from the Secondary
School (Gymnasium) and later got a university degree in software engineering.
Hence, my primary field of interest remains software development and software
engineering.

My first real notable contact with a PC was back in 1997 when I got one at
home. I soon became interested in software development. Due to the lack of
affordable and permanent Internet connection, I only discovered Debian 5 years
later when a friend installed "potato" on our server/router. Therefore, Debian
stable was my first contact with GNU/Linux and free software (as ideology and
community) ever. Less than a year later Debian unstable became my primary
desktop OS and has been such up until now. I also deploy Debian stable on
servers/workstations where GNU/Linux is an acceptable solution.

I started contributing to Debian in the form of bug reports after a couple of
months of intensively using Debian unstable on my desktop. I have always liked
"moving target" model of Debian sid hence I soon got my hands dirty with some
packaging for private needs. However, back in 2006 I decided to get
involved into Debian development more seriously in order to contribute
something back to the community I had only been taking from so far.

You will find the details of my involvement in Debian up until now below:
--------------------

According to the BTS [1][2], over the course of using Debian I have
reported ~95 bugs (~30 + ~65). The oldest dates back to 31 May 2003 (#195573,
not the best example of quality bug report though), which is about 6 months
after I started using Debian unstable on the desktop as my main OS. Whenever I
report a non-trivial bug, I do my best to supply a patch, especially if a bug
is wishlist.

As far as package maintenance goes, I'm a member of Debian Qt/KDE maintainers
team and I co-maintain all official KDE packages. I was added to the commiters
list on Oct 2006 [3] and then I made my first commit (improving KDE for etch
release) soon after. This was my first contribution to Debian in the real
packaging form. Since then I made around 150 commits to the official Debian
KDE packaging subversion repository. In general, involvement in Debian Qt/KDE
team includes packaging, some bug hunting, patching and of course having fun.

I'm also a member of Debian KDE Extras Team where I'm a main maintainer of the
following packages (and practically the only maintainer as nobody else has
touched them since me taking over):

* konversation (took over on July 2007) - rather easy package, went through
KDE 3 -> KDE 4 migration (basically packaging rewrite).
* ktorrent (took over since June 2007). Many changes initially (2.1.4-1),
closed many old bugs, wrote / pushed a couple of useful packages upstream.
Basically it is a rather easy package, went through KDE 3 -> KDE 4 migration
(packaging rewrite).
* plasma-widget-networkmanagement (new package since 2009 Feb) - trivial, KDE
4 based. This source has taken over previous knetworkmanager source recently.

I'm also a co-maintainer of cmake (since Oct 2008, 2.6.2-1), solved a couple
of Debian bugs in 2.6.2-2, wrote / pushed a couple of patches upstream.

I'm a main and the only maintainer of:

* amarok (took over on Dec 2007). See initial verbose changes in 1.4.8-2,
solved quite a few Debian/upstream bugs then. Currently I'm maintaining the
next general generation of Amarok (aka Amarok 2) which been uploaded to
unstable recently (following up upon MySQL 5.1 upload). Amarok is generally
complex package for a simple app, because it depends on exotic packages like
mysql embedded (had to solve numerous FTBFSes to make it work back then, see
1.9.x changelog) etc.
* yauap (new package since 2008 March) - I introduced it to give an option of
another playback engine to Amarok 1 users. However, since Amarok 2 no longer
can use it, I will probably orphan this package soon.
* taglib (took over on May 2008) - switched build systems, added symbol files,
now the package builds two interchangeable library packages (vanilla and
patched version) sharing the same external API/ABI (since 1.5-5).
* taglib-extras (new package since May 2009) - maintaining this one because
Amarok 2 needs it. A rather strightforward library.
* qtscriptgenerator (new package since Apr 2009) - maintaining this one
because Amarok 2 needs it. Since this is language bindings, I had to solve a
couple of arch specific FTBFSes myself (alignment issues on sparc/armel).

I have been a Debian Maintainer since 16 Feb 2008, see #465130 [4]. Since
then I have been actively uploading all packages which are marked [DM] in my
QA page [5].

Recently, I have been into improvement of some Debian packaging tools:

* debhelper improvements: #490886 (trivial), #326874 (contributed dh_bugfiles
implementation), #520615 (implementation of --remaining-packages option) are
completed. Major changes in debhelper 7.3 were the result of my and Joey Hess
(debhelper maintainer) joint work to implement abstract object oriented
buildsystem framework for dh_auto [6][7]. Currently, I'm fan of dh(1) way of
packaging.
* dpkg-dev improvements: improved performance and memory consumption of dpkg-
shlibdeps (credited in the 1.15.0 changelog), worked on the patch for #521551
(part of 1.15.3), #533916 is still in progress and got a new direction after a
thread on debian-devel. To summarize, I'm a fan of symbol files and all my
recent work is geared towards getting them to work well with C++ libraries. On
the related note, pkg-kde-tools package includes a "private" pkgkde-
symbolshelper which I'm the author of and both #521551 and #533916 are the
result of integrating useful bits from pkgkde-symbolshelper to dpkg-dev.

In general, when packaging I try to prioritize package quality and speedy
packaging of new upstream releases. I generally take lintian seriously trying
to keep my packages lintian clean (if possible). I don't override lintian
warnings which I intend (or have) to fix eventually (they serve as my TODO).
I'm also a fan of "minimal" debian/rules. I try to solve all Debian specific
bugs fast while sometimes looking into upstream bugs myself on the best effort
basis (e.g. see amarok 1.4.8-2, ktorrent 2.1.4-1, cmake 2.6.2-{1,2}) or
forwarding them.

1. http://bugs.debian.org:80/cgi-
bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;submitter=modestas@vainius.eu
2. http://bugs.debian.org:80/cgi-
bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;submitter=geromanas@mailas.com
3. http://svn.debian.org:80/viewsvn/pkg-kde/scripts/svn-hooks/commit-access-
control.cfg?r1=4723&r2=4754
4. http://bugs.debian.org:80/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=465130
5. http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=modestas@vainius.eu
6.
http://git.debian.org/?p=debhelper/debhelper.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master
starting with commit 93cd875ba2e3ac9eda6adc31b4334d43ef718ea0
7. http://kitenet.net/~joey/talks/debhelper/debhelper-slides.pdf from page 32

   Google says:
   google basically confirms Modestas autobiography.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Modestas has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Modestas committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   All packages are in good shape.
   Due to his easy reviewable work all over debian, and the advocacy and other
comments, I have not asked any further questions. See also minechangelogs
output (attached) for details.

5. Recommendation
   I warmly recommend to accept Modestas Vainius as a Debian Developer ASAP.

/Sune
--
Man, do you know how to forward from the e-mail on the TCP/IP window from the
folder within DOS?

First of all you never have to remove the system over the login to save a
mousepad.