Re: Task and Skills messages

* Duncan Findlay (duncf@debian.org) wrote:
> I agree that it is fine to ask questions that might require the
> applicants to look something up; however, I'd prefer that the
> knowledge gained from this is useful. The intricacies of the runtime
> linker (or "fundamental runtime linker knowledge", as the question
> writer calls it) are not particularly useful, IMHO.

Yeah, actually, it *is* useful when we have so many broken libraries
that don't have versioned symbols.  We're going through this (yet again)
w/ libgnutls7 vs. libgnutls10.  We've had a number of problems in the
past with OpenSSL.  These are libraries that *lots* of programs use and
even if you're not packaging them it's good to (and not really all that
hard to..) understand what's happening on your system and why things
broke suddenly.  It's also good to know people can do research. :)

	Stephen