Re: debian-multimedia: wiki question

Quoting Toerless Eckert (2018-02-19 18:35:46)
>> Please avoid sarcasm - that is *not* helpful.
>
>> I am genuinely uncertain if behind each or some of the sarcasm above
>> was interest in understanding why Debian behaves different from your
>> expectation, or you only want to conclude that it does (i.e. point
>> fingers).
>
> Neither. I would like to understand how to make Debian do whats
> needed, so that maybe i can help fixing up the wiki doc to explain it.

Thanks for clarifying - and sorry if my initial response came out harsh.

> I hate to waste peoples time, so the sarcasm is only there to show
> that i think i did my due diligence trying to figure out things before
> asking but the confusing doc/programs had me fail.

I can understand that.  And I even imagine I could have written similar
myself, depending on my mood.  Nevertheless I felt quite distracted by
your writing style - worrying too much if you were merely trolling.
Therefore I appreciate your rewrite.

> In a sarcasm free versoin:
>
> - would be good to change title and text of of 3.1
>   i could not figure out what the title means and how it relates to
>   the content of the section.

I firmly believe documentation of ways to fork Debian (which adding a
non-Debian package repository to APT essentially is) belongs elsewhere,
and I will therefore not take part in discussing that for our wiki page.

> - aptitude search '~S ~i ~O"Unofficial Multimedia Packages"'
>
>   This command did not work for me to identify any installed
>   deb-multimedia programs, it just cam back blank.

Just guessing here (since this is Debian, not deb-multimedia), but
perhaps deb-multimedia packages have changed their identifier?

>   Aptitude was also not installed by default (stretch) , but "apt" did
>   the same thing, albeit more verbose.
>
>   If i didn't do something wrong here, then it seems as if this is not
>   the right commend to find those package
>
>   Q: Is there a command to show the repository that a package was installed from ?

There are several commands to search in different ways, depending on
what exactly you are looking for.

The command I would choose is aptitude (not apt nor apt-get), because of
its powerful matching engine.

>   Q: Is there a way to list just the explicitly installed packages
>      (as opposed to the ones pulled in by dependencies ?)

Most minimal way is "apt-mark showmanual".

Should be possible to express with aptitude too...

>   If there where these two commands, one should be able to easily get rid of
>   deb-multimedia by
>     (1) listing packages installed from that repository
>     (2) list , match the packages manually installed
>     (3) identify manual installed packages from the repo
>     (4) remove repo from /etc/apt/sources.list
>     (5) apt-get-update, aptitute autoclean ?
>     (6) remove all packages installed from the repo (1)
>     (7) re-install packages from (3)
>
>   So far i've only managed to do
>
>   dpt-query -l | grep dmo
>
>   to half-way identify packages from deb-multimedia and remove them. I could
>   remember which packages i installed manually and reinstalled them. But for
>   documenting a recommended way to remove a repo, that is not a good reuseable
>   approach.

Hope above may get you back a sensible system.

 - Jonas