Re: Csound

|--==> Felipe Sateler writes:

  FS> On Wednesday 01 August 2007 18:47:22 Free Ekanayaka wrote:
  FS> Import the upstream source to the "upstream" branch.
  >>
  >>We generally avoid importing the upstream source to save space.
  >>
  FS> Remove non-free stuff from the source in the "dfsg-clean" branch.
  >>
  >>That's interesting, I've never maintained a package for which I had to
  >>prune the upstream source from non-free parts. Is this the case with
  >>sound?

  FS> Yes, because csound used to be under a non-free license, but changed to LGPL
  FS> later on. However some of the opcodes could not be relicensed because the
  FS> original author could not be reached/didn't want to relicense. I'm not sure
  FS> how repacked sources can be managed without importing them into svn.

What about a script that converts the original upstream tarball in a
dfsg-clean one? The script could be kept under SVN and be run against
new upstream releases to obtain the dfsg-clean equivalent (that's more
or less what the kernel team does with the original linux tarball,
which is not dfsg-clean).

  FS> Do the actual packaging in the "master" branch.
  >>
  FS> I'm not sure if this is possible in subversion, or if you are using a
  FS> different schema. Apparently you are only saving the debian/
  >>subfolder in FS> svn.
  >>
  >>I generally create draft source package and then:

  FS> A draft source package is an empty one?

No, just an initial version of the package, typically obtained by
running dh_make and deleting the useless stuff.

  >>svn-inject -o package.dsc svn+ssh://free-guest@svn.debian.org/svn/demudi
  >>
  >>If I need to change the upstream code, I'm always keeping the patches
  >>under debian/patches.

  FS> I'm doing that too (I use dpatch), but that doesn't work for repacked sources.

Ciao,

Free