Re: [a-devel] AGNULA/DeMuDi 1.1.1 and 2.6.x kernel

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 21:00, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>
> > > Note that I have *not* been running Nando's patch so far (but I will).
> > > My hypothesis is that it is only required for the NPTL library.  But,
> > > I don't really know that for sure yet.
> >
> > Well, depends on what problems were you seeing. The patch tries to fix
> > the realtime priority of the client threads. I think you said at some
> > point you were seeing that...
>
> I was.  My two main problems were: (1) failure to acquire SCHED_FIFO
> and (2) frequent segfaults when calling pthread_cancel().  I have not
> seen either since I started testing with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 set.
>
> Today, I've been testing with NPTL (using the env variable).  That
> seems to work, too, on Debian.  This is still without your patch, just
> JACK 0.98.3 from CVS.

Hmmm, I'm testing with 0.98.0 (with the optimization problem patched
away). Maybe something in 0.98.3 is very different?

> Is there something different about the Red Hat NPTL implementation?

Not that I know of, but I don't know much about it at all.

I have not seen segfaults at all, just xruns (and weird situations where
I can get the machine to almost lock up - everything slows down
enormously, killing jack stops the problem).

I just sent a (hopefully) cleaner patch to jackit-devel for the
SCHED_FIFO problem, and the results of some test runs I did today in
different conditions.

-- Fernando