Re: realtime-module-2.6.5-1_0.0.4-3+2.6.5-3_i386.changes ACCEPTED

    guenter> On Tue, 11 May 2004, tim hall wrote:
    >> Guenter,
    >>
    >> I've been considering upgrading my kernel for a while, I'm
    >> currently still running a 2.4.22 (Agnula) kernel and a
    >> non-canonical mixture of testing and Agnula/DeMuDi-1.1.0
    >> packages at the moment. I'm wondering how much trouble I would
    >> be letting myself in for if I was to make such a jump with the
    >> kernel.

    guenter> Hi Tim,

    guenter> The Debian (and Demudi) kernels are setup in a way so
    guenter> that you can always double boot, that means if you
    guenter> install a new kernel, you can still access the old one
    guenter> using the linux.old boot entry (which is an advantage if
    guenter> the new kernel does not work for your system). So, by
    guenter> installing a new kernel you should loose nothing.

    guenter> If you do not like the new one, just boot the old one.

Yes, I'm currently running a patched 2.4.25,  but at times I boot into
the 2.6.4 for testing and experimenting.

In this case  I've just installed the  2.6.5 stock debian kernel, plus
the realtime   module from Guenter  and it  works  really nicely on my
laptop.

    >> I'm still relatively new to Debian Multimedia, I've been using
    >> it for a year & a half and I am wary of ending up with a broken
    >> system, naturally. I'll be running it on an i810 chipset and
    >> I'm wondering if this kernel is going to be stable enough to be
    >> able to get on with making music or whether this is really a
    >> mission for a non-production machine and a more experienced
    >> user.

    guenter> Hard to tell. As there are so many different hardware
    guenter> setups, there is never a guaranty that things that were
    guenter> working will still do in 2.6.  But then some thing that
    guenter> weren't, may.  One reason for having the
    guenter> unstable/testing/stable cycle is to be able to collect as
    guenter> much information as possible about the stability of the
    guenter> system. Of course if no-one would use and test the
    guenter> unstable and testing stuff this could not work out.

    >> Now that the Agnula/DeMuDi-1.1.1 live CD is here, I'm thinking
    >> of replacing my Woody install with that, this way I can still
    >> be of use to the Agnula team.  However I'd also like to keep my
    >> testing/unstable install relatively up to date - I generally
    >> try to stay under the threshold of known bugs unless
    >> dependencies force me to do otherwise.

    guenter> Well, one good thing is that the AGNULA team will try to
    guenter> integrate more into Debian, I am currently uploading Paul
    guenter> Bossiers supercollider package, several other AGNULA
    guenter> packages are already in Debian (from Free Ekanayaka or
    guenter> Hans Fugal). This means that Demudi will be more or less
    guenter> a subset of the Debian packages, but with an installer,
    guenter> the wonderfull documentation of Dave Phillips and all the
    guenter> user support that is offered by the AGNULA/Demudi team.

Yes, this exactly the idea :) Of course we have to be patient.

    guenter> As of the Live CD. As a user it is most of the time a
    guenter> pleasant experience having a knoppix based distribution
    guenter> installed, up to the time when you want to
    guenter> upgrade. Knoppix uses some non standard (non Debian)
    guenter> startup scripts which partly depend on the way the
    guenter> Knoppix packages are setup.  (or, the Debian packages
    guenter> that Knoppix uses at that time). The problem that you can
    guenter> have with that is that if you like to upgrade your system
    guenter> to a more recent Debian snapshot, these scripts may break
    guenter> because they are somehow "out of the system".

I strongly  suggest  to  *not* install  the DeMuDi   live CD.   I know
everybody is    tempted to  do   that, but  you   really get something
difficult to manage.

If you really want/need    to upgrade please   do it   against  debian
testing, which in this moment seems rather  stable with respect to the
audio applications.

cheers,

free