Re: minimizing the impact of bad mirrors (was: mirror debian.tu-bs.de out of date)

Simon Paillard (simon.paillard@resel.enst-bretagne.fr) wrote on 21 July 2008 19:52:
 >The problem is that many other kind of issues can happen on the mirror,
 >and checking the last date of project/trace/ftp-master.debian.org is
 >clearly not be sufficient (an arch may stop being updated for example).

Note that http://merkel.debian.org/~jeroen/mirrorstatus.html already
checks the public mirrors. In particular, tu-bs.de is reported as
being out of sync...

 >Basically, all the needed tests should be present on
 >http://teubr.eu.org/~spaillar/debian/qamirrors/TODO (whose I should
 >create a wiki page instead ..).

Some of these suggestions are implemented in
http://www.de.debian.org/dmc/today and
http://mirror.debian.org/status.html.

 >> Would it be useful to file a wishlist bug?
 >
 >We have to carefully think at the several solutions.
 >
 >One of these is implementing a DNS round robin of mirrors, regurarly
 >updated, only composed of working and fresh mirrors.

 >As a first step, I submitted #483957 so that the authorative list of
 >mirrors get included in the sources.list and /or in the man
 >sources.list.
 >Obvisouly, that supposes the list at
 >http://www.debian.org/mirrors/list is always consistent with reality
 >(and that is not the case since we still do hand test/mail/list
 >edition).

Are you sure you want to open this Pandora box? :-) :-)