Re: kernel compile on cobalt raq2

On 6/28/05, Harald Kapper <hk@kapper.net> wrote:
> hi again,
> for those in need I put it up here:
> http://ftp2.kapper.net/pub/cobalt/raq2/kernel-image-2.4.27-r5k-cobalt_2.4.27-8.040815-1_mipsel.deb
>
> simply install it and put the package on hold, this should get us working
> debian-raqs at least :)
>
> off list I had at least eight people reporting the very same problem I see on
> our boxes, I ask everybody to report their problems also to this list otherwise
> noone is going to belive me here ;-)

Ok, progress on getting a WORKING kernel to compile, for anyone that
needs it.  I was able to compile the latest 2.4 kernel (2.4.31) and it
seems to be working properly, no network problems, etc.  I used the
kernel source from kernel.org, and MANUALLY applied the
patch-2.4.24-cobalt from http://www.colonel-panic.org/cobalt-mips/.  I
was never able to get it to work before because just running patch
would cause errors, so I went through to see what it was changing, and
just applied them manually (with vi).  There wasn't as much as I
thought, it only took about 20 minutes, after which I tarred up
/usr/src/linux and saved it for future use.  I then compiled the
kernel the non-debian way (make dep; make clean; make vmlinux), and
all went well.

So just letting everyone know, incase there's someone that needs the
info in the future....

-Ryan

--
I have often wondered if the majority of mankind ever pause to reflect
upon the occasionally titanic significance of dreams, and of the