Re: Building Native MIPS Kernel

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Erich Schubert wrote:

> > Is there documentation on building the kernel natively? I have gotten the
> > cvs stuff from oss.sgi.com and read the HOWTO and other documents in the
> > Documentation directory.  I saw the cross-compiled info and I am not sure
> > if I need binutils, egcs, etc.  Currently, I have an Indy running kernel
> > 2.4.0.  I have gcc 2.97 installed on the machine.
>
> You actually don't need documentation...
> at least i did not.
>
> i just got the kernel source from cvs at oss.sgi.com
> then i did "make vmlinux.ecoff" and after some long time (my indy runs
> at 100 MHz) i ended up with a new kernel.

If your Indy or Indigo2 supports ELF binaries you can also
use make vmlinux.

> You need the same development packages (gcc etc.) as you do with x86

I have had success with gcc 2.95.4 on Debian SID/MIPS,
there are also compilers which are known to be broken. Like egcs 1.0.3 -
but I think noone is still using them anyways ...

		CU, Klaus

--
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network