Package scripts and environment vars

Moin,

dumb question, I did not find anything in the policy.

We got #1056587: in the postinst stage of a package a broken TeX format file is generated. The root cause is that the user placed a customized TeX input file anywhere and changed the TEXINPUTS variable in the environment of user root to make sure the file is read.

Question: is the postinst expected to do the right thing even in this situation, i.e. do we have to reset TEXINPUT or can we rely on a clean environment of user root, which contains only minimal customization?

Thanks,
  Hilmar
--
sigfault