Re: Questions about package dependencies with no upstream version

On 2023-11-21 16:39 +0000, David James wrote:
> Dear Mentors,
>
> I would like to package the Citra emulator in the future. There are currently a few dependencies that need to be added as packages before Citra itself can be built from a tarball.
>
> A couple of these dependencies have no version upstream. Is there a precedent for this? Can these dependencies be packaged?

Yes. I normally use 'date' for unversioned software. It's important to
use it in the right way so that if they start using versions later
their '0.1' is newer than your made-up dates (which it won't be if you
used the obvious '20231118' (version 20-million-ish)).

So you need to version it like this:
0~20231118
0~20240315
etc

This is in the debian docs somewhere, but I forget where.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/