Re: How to troubleshoot conffile files problems

On Sat, Dec 04, 2021 at 11:09:35PM -0500, Tong Sun wrote:
> OK, I want to remove all conffile files and reinstall the new ones
> when doing package upgrade, as there isn't much user intervention to
> those conffile files. All are provided by the package.
Then they shouldn't be conffiles and shouldn't be in /etc.
And if you want to drop user modifications you are just breaking the
Policy requirements.

> So I do `rm_conffile` to the old conffile files when doing package
> upgrade,
rm_conffile is about preserving user modifications.
And, again, calling it with a dir is wrong.

> How to properly handle conffile files in such a case?
If they shouldn't be modified by the user, they should be in /usr.

--
WBR, wRAR