Re: How to revive an abandoned package? (Qtile)

Hi Damien,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 10:09 PM Damien Calloway
<damiencalloway@fastmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am an avid Pythonista and I was disappointed to learn that
>
> sudo apt install qtile
>
> No longer works. In my research, it appears that the qtile project relies on packagers for each distribution - they do not do the packaging themselves.
>
> I see that the Debian package is abandoned for some time now, and I wanted to know if:
>
> 1) Would I need to use the procedure for submitting a new package, since this one has been stale for so long?

Yes. That and possibly a bit more, actually. There's a section about
it in the Debian Developer's Reference [1].

> 2) Would I need to build for all the architectures that Debian supports?

Yes.

To be perfectly clear though: you don't have to build the binary
package on all the architectures yourself; you have to make such
builds possible from your source package. Debian's build
infrastructure will build all the binary packages from that.

> 3) Also, wanted to confirm that I would just need to ensure a reproducible build with valid metadata for aptitude, then package and submit the results?

You need a valid source package that conforms to Debian policy [2] and
that someone is willing to sponsor [3]. There's a Q&A with more useful
links on mentors.debian.net [4].

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#reintroducing-packages
[2] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
[3] https://mentors.debian.net/sponsors/