How to include the .git folder in a source package's .tar.xz archive?

I, or mostly the work of another individual rather, is working on getting a program packaged for Debian for potential inclusion in the Debian repositories, but we've hit a roadblock in getting our package to work.

Part of the packaging process for our program includes running Git commands to get things like the timestamp for when some files were last modified, which are used in things like the building of man pages via Asciidoc to set the last modified time [1].

The problem is that whenever I (and the other guy) build the program with something like debuild, the resulting .tar.xz archive doesn't contain the .git repository in which the 'debian/' folder is contained. I've attempted to do some Googling, but I didn't get much of anywhere with it (I actually got some answers on how to do the opposite for some reason :P).

Anything I could try?

[1]: https://github.com/gamer4life1/makedeb/blob/launchpad/Makefile#L1-L3

---
Hunter Wittenborn