Re: Handling files with no copyright notices, many contributors

On Sat, 09 Oct 2021 18:51:37 +0000, John Scott wrote:

> It includes a statement that the license is GPL 2 only with system
> calls note (basically a GPL exception), and it's already distributed as
> part of the kernel, so surely it's free. However, I'm having trouble
> figuring out what to put in my DEP-5 copyright file.
>
> Linux Git shows that this file has had too many contributors to
> enumerate, and in fact it's been in Linux since before 2.6.12-rc2,
> which is the oldest version in the main repo's history.
>
> Documenting everyone that has ever contributed to this file would take
> an immense amount of time and is beyond practical.

The relevant question in my understanding is (in general) not "Who
are the contributors?" but "Who are the copyright holders?" [0]

If the file is taken from the kernel source I'd take a look at the
copyright file of source:linux-signed-amd64.

Taking /usr/share/doc/linux-image-5.10.0-8-amd64/copyright on my
disk, ch9.h doesn't seem to be mentioned, so it would seem to fall
under the general clause:

| Files: *
| Copyright: 1991-2012 Linus Torvalds and many others
| License: GPL-2

Cheers,
gregor

[0] Unless there are no copyright holder, then authors can be assumed
to be copyright holders, following the Geneva Convention. - But
that's not the case for the kernel.

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe