Re: BTS and unreleased changelog entries

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 12:14:59AM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> > Thanks for the hint.  dpkg-genchanges(1) says -c requires a version.  Is
>                                              ~~~~^
>                             I'll assume this is a typo and you meant -v

whoops yes!

> > there a downside to always starting from the first release?
>
> Yes, you'd always be putting in the .changes all of the changelog, spam
> debian-devel-changes@ with all the changelog all of the time, and trying
> to close all the bugs you closed in the past with every each upload.

Oh I didn't know about debian-devel-changes - spamming folks who'd like
to read such things would be a bummer.

I asked because I was surpsied this isn't automatic - as an
inexperienced packager, it's sometimes frustraing to learn about yet
another obscure flag to yet another dpkg-something that is only
occasionally needed.

> Rather, I have a counter-question for you: why are you keeping entries
> for unreleased uploads in d/changelog?  I find it rather confusing,
> mostly useless and with no real upsides as opposed to cohalesce the
> entries.

Good question.  I guess I think of a changelog as history - so changes I
made on 1.15 go with 1.15 whether it was released or not.  But if I
think of the changelog as telling others about changes in a release,
then it makes sense to squash them.

Either way, I try to avoid it now.  So it's really just dealing with the
previous entries.  Sounds like I just need one upload to be done with an
early enough -v.  And then avoid keeping unreleased versions around in
the future.

> To avoid doubts: the -v option is there because of how in the past NMUs,
> experimental uploads (and few other things) were handled.  And currently
> it's useful for backports (despite (sadly, imho) not required anymore),
> and for stable uploads when the upload takes all the uploads done to
> unstable, not to deal with UNRELEASED entries.

Ah interesting, the context here is useful to know.

Thanks for the help,
Ross