Re: RFS: gtklp (updated package)

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 14:10 +0200, Michal Čihař wrote:
> But it is better to have separate patches in the package so that you
> can see purpose of each change just from the source package without
> need to investigate whatever version control does author use.

I won't argue if that's better or not :)  I used that system previously
and I do know that the patch separation helped a lot in distinguishing
which changes do what on the package (It sure was helpful when I was
sorting these patches into git branches.)  I switched to maintaining the
patches in git as separate branches exactly to track the purpose of each
change by myself.  With the autotools patching gone, I really have a few
patches to keep, and the remaining patches seem small enough to not
warrant keeping them as patch files.

Note that I'm not closing the door on separating patches as files
altogether; I may go back to simple-patchsys style when I have more than
a handful of patches to keep.

> Maybe there is some way to generate patches from git branches
> automatically?

git-format-patch can generate patches; I suppose an analog tool similar
to git-dch can be made to generate a patch series.

--
Zak B. Elep <zakame@zakame.net>