Re: RFS: codelite

> Dear mentors,

Hi,

First, thanks for the effort packaging such a beast. I didn't look at the
package properly (sorry, lack of time), but I had a look at your
debian/copyright which makes me think that you at least went through the code.

> The upload would fix these bugs: 516896

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/codelite/codelite_1.0.2893+dfs
>g-1.dsc
>
> In addition, this package is already in Ubuntu --
> http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/codelite

I have some questions which might need a broader discussion, before we proceed
(I don't place any burden on you to answer them, of course, but your opinion
would be appreciated as well):

It seems like there is a great part of users who are not so happy with the
current C/C++ IDE available in Debian, hence they are packaging more and more
C/C++ IDE's, like codelite and codeblocks [1], which are both already
available in Ubuntu (can't comment on their quality since I've never used them
[2]). Packaging and _properly maintaining_ such large and complex code bases
is a tremendous effort, since amongst other things they tend to embed almost
any kind of libraries and external projects (except libc;-) to make their life
"easier". Therefore having a clear view on the following would probably safe
people's time checking unneeded prospective packages and would hopefully add
quality to existing ones:

Do we really need more C/C++ IDE's?
Which one: a) codelite, b) codeblocks, c) both, d) other?
(a side note: cooperating with Ubuntu's maintainers seems like a win-win
situation to me).

[1] ITP: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=304570
(lots of interested users, but nothing yet)
[2] Jen Lody's unofficial packages, I saw some of my colleagues to use happily:
http://apt.jenslody.de/

P.S. and yes, I'm not a fan Eclipse CDT nor I have any feeling with MSVC
though I use it daily.