Re: RFS: codeblocks

Hi Erick,

Erick Mattos <erick.mattos@gmail.com>:
> First, I have to say that it is very nice the name you have.  My
> favorite!

Your have a interesting spelling, I have never seen it before.

> On Saturday 23 June 2007 18:45, Erik Schanze wrote:
> > Did you check your snapshot if it will be stable enough for
> > distribution?
>
> I have been using it myself for more than a year.

Ok, but you should choose your snapshots carefully. It should be
stable enough to go into Debian, even for unstable.

> They are working a
> lot on the project but I don't plan to see my first packages going
> into stable.

Then you must prevent the unstable->testing transition by a
never fixed release critical bug. I hope that is not what you want. ;-)

> But being on unstable is enough for sharing this
> wonderful tool to Debian users and to add more people to this
> project.

If your package has not big bugs, it will go into Lenny, our
next stable release. Enjoy it! ;-)

> > What is your approach for picking further versions?
>
> I intend to build another package twice a month until they release
> the 1.0 at last.   Then following their releases.

I'm not sure, if I could follow this short periods. ;-)
I would suggest it is the best to do a new version, if a bug is
going to be fixed or new features were added upstream.

> > I found some points you should improve:
> > - debian/copyright: list every single author for copyright, not
> > only the team name (go through every source file for authors list,
> > not only a copy of AUTHORS file)
>
> I have asked the author itself for that.  He told me to do so.
> Anyway they try to give all the credit in AUTHORS file.

Then they forgot e.g. author of tinyxml part, Yves Berquin.
Please check every source file you introduce into Debian by yourself.

> > - debian/rules: remove unneeded and add useful but missing dh_*
> > calls
>
> I will try to improve this.  But this is something I am still
> learning, not yet confident.  :-|
> I would be very glad if you could help me on that.

Please see manpage of debhelper and all dh_* manpages. I be sure you
will find the right ones.

> > - debian/doc: remove docs that are useless for a package user
>
> I thought the ones in the project were relevant.  Please let me know.

IMO all files are useless for an enduser.
AUTHORS - all authors should be listed in debian/copyright
BUGS 	- empty
BUILD 	- your distribute a binary package (or source package with
	  prepared build run, no user needs build instructions)
COMPILERS - no interesting information for Linux user
NEWS 	- homepage is already in debian/copyright
README 	- homepage is already in debian/copyright
TODO 	- no information for enduser

> > - add manpages for "cb_share_config" and "codesnippets"
>
> I am going to see it.

Perhaps you should write it. ;-)
Perhaps you could translate your manpages into a foreign language?

> This is my first package and I intend to help the community as much
> as I can. Debian is wonderful and I really would like to see it
> stronger.  That is why I plan to contribute to Debian.  To help it be
> always the best.

That's my motivation also.

> Thank you very much for your time.

Thank you too.

Kindly regards,
Erik

--
 Bitte keine HTML-E-Mails! No HTML mails, please! Limit: 100 kB *