Re: Building a program with tcl/tk8.4

On Thu, 24 May 2007 15:24:15 +0900
Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> I preparing a package which by default uses a local copy of tcl/tk. In
> order to build it against Debian's version, I have turned the #include
> "tk.h" into #include <tcl8.4/tk.h>.
>
> It then complains the following:
>
>  /usr/include/tcl8.4/tk.h:68:20: error: tcl.h: No such file or
> directory

Check that -I/usr/include is being passed in the CFLAGS.

The upstream code isn't telling the compiler to look in the right place.

You'll probably need dpatch for this (unless you are using CDBS) and
then persuade upstream to implement a check so that external Tcl can be
used in preference to the local version as a ./configure option.

> The reason is that /usr/include/tcl8.4/tk.h contains #include <tcl.h>
> instead of <tcl8.4/tcl.h>. Is it a bug?

No. (In fact, if it did what you suggest, it would break everything
else using Tcl.)

> /usr/share/doc/tcl8.4-dev/README.TCL_INC seems to indicate that there
> is a strategy for helping tcl/tk to find its files, but I do not see
> what to do exactly.

Check the source of other packages that use Tcl and check their
configure.ac|in and Makefile.am variables, especially AM_CFLAGS in the
Makefile.am for the directory containing the files that need Tcl.

--

Neil Williams