Re: Preserving admin runlevel modifications on upgrade?

Hello

On 2005-02-08 Maximilian Wilhelm wrote:
> > > AFAIK the standard way of registering daemons is to run
> > >  update-rc.d foobar defaults
> > > in the postinst script. This sadly resets any changes the administrator
> > > made on every upgrade.
> > read update-rc.d(8), section "INSTALLING INIT SCRIPT LINKS", second
> > paragraph.
>
> OK, if I rearrange things no problem.
> But if I remove runleve-links because I e.g. want to be able to run
> apache/MySQL/Samba/openVPN/atftpd/dhcpd ... whatever on my laptop
> but do not want them to be run whenever I boot the maschine, I have to
> remove the links manually after every update of the services :-(

Don't use this old symlink thing, install "file-rc" then you have a nice
textfile /etc/runlevel.conf with all the settings. There you can change
the line
	"20   1,6   2,3,4,5   /etc/init.d/mysql"
with
	"20   1,6   -         /etc/init.d/mysql"
and the service will not be started anymore but still be stopped when
shutting down. Debian updates will preserve this setting as long as
a line ending with /etc/init.d/mysql is existing and not commented out.

(My original question was a bit more complicated as I had a debconf question
whether or not mysql should be started at boot but I decided to drop this
whole question and let the user manage this himself via runlevel.conf or
symlinks)

> Max
bye,

-christian-