Re: RFS agrep

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:54:32PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:

> > > A little bit more information would be appreciated.
> >
> > Well, you just failed Debian Philosophy 101.
> >
> > Hint: non-free is not part of Debian, it merely uses Debian's
> > infrastructure.
>
> Well I know all this. But I ment I want to have more information how it
> will practically go. Does the patent problems have any implication on the
> upload (to non-free)?

I don't see patent problems (which would, by current reckoning, mean it
should head into non-US, anyway), what I see is a licence which is
non-DFSG-free (specifically, the fourth clause listed in debian/copyright).

If you're not sure why that clause is non-free, I shall recommend to you
(and anyone else who wishes to become more informed about DFSG issues) the
draft DFSG FAQ, at http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html.  Look for
"Desert Island Test".

> What am I supposed to do with the package or the patent issues?

You can possibly get it sponsored into non-free.  The patent issues are a
mixed-bag - some DDs believe we should ignore them unless there is evidence
of active enforcement, others have differing views.  I believe it's a
judgement call by the developer involved.

If you want a more informed opinion than mine, summarise the patent issues
and pass it on to debian-legal - there are plenty of people there just
itching to have a chew on anything that comes their way.

> Will there be any sponsor or can I better put my time in other packages /
> bug fixes and the like?

I think non-free is a bit of a dead horse, myself.  There are no
autobuilders for it, and you'll have a much smaller pool of DDs willing to
sponsor it in.

If you'd *really* like to win Debian brownie points, convince upstream to
relicence agrep under a DFSG-free licence.  Trimming clause 4 would do it,
IMO.  Hell, do that and *I'll* sponsor agrep in for you.

- Matt