removing entire directories from original source

hello:

I am trying to package a suite of scientific programs for analysis of
x-ray spectroscopy data and I am running into a situation that I could not
find in the manuals I have written.

I have two packages, 'atoms' and 'horae'.  horae depends on atoms and
perl-tk and in the original tarball, it contains perl module
subdirectories which generate installed perl modules and man pages which
would overwrite the ones in the perl-tk and atoms packages.

I can fix the overwrite errors in the deb packages by simply removing the
module subdirectories in horae but I am not sure if that is the proper way
to do it.

Thanks

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Associate Dean for Research, Armour College