Re: Software for healthcare

Dear Raghava,

greetings to India.  I guess your mail is pretty welcome on this list
since recently the second active member from India joined our small
team.

Am Sun, May 22, 2022 at 07:33:09PM +0530 schrieb Gajendra P.S. Raghava:
> Dear Colleagues,
> We are active contributors in the field of bioinformatics/chemoinformatics and health informatics. Mostly, we develop web-servers see our web site http://webs.iiitd.edu.in/raghava/ <http://webs.iiitd.edu.in/raghava/> , most of software are heavily used by scientific community. All software and services are free for public. One of the major challenge is to distribute these packages to user, in past we made number of attempt to make these software available see https://webs.iiitd.edu.in/osddlinux/ <https://webs.iiitd.edu.in/osddlinux/> , https://webs.iiitd.edu.in/gpsrdocker/ <https://webs.iiitd.edu.in/gpsrdocker/>  and https://github.com/raghavagps <https://github.com/raghavagps> . Still our users are not happy with our services, they need simple way of installing these software package. We believe, maintaing debian package is best solution as user can easily install these software.

I confirm that we are happy to help in such cases.  First of all we need
to clarify the difference between "free for public" and free in the
terms of the Debian Free Software Guidelines[1].  All software we want
to package needs to have a license which complies to this.  Most used
licenses are GPL (different versions), BSD, MIT and so on.

> The purpose of writing this long email to this list, help in joining debian med project. Though we know how to package, we have already developed deb packages see http://webs.iiitd.edu.in/repo/ <http://webs.iiitd.edu.in/repo/>  but we are not expert. I tried to create PPA via launchpad but there are number of issues. I will highly appreciate if you please provide steps to join this project.

I had a very quick look of some examples of your *.deb files in your
repository.  Its lacking any licensing and copyright information so we
do not know whether we can package this.  We also always need a link to
the source repository.  The packaging will be done according Debian
Policy which we can talk about in some Mentoring of the Month project[2].
So if you have one or two interested developers (preferably those
persons who cared for the *.deb files so far) we can teach them kindly
and patiently how to do the packaging right and include the packages
into official Debian.

We happily welcome new developers and it will be a pleasure to teach
our knowledge.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

[1] https://www.debian.org/social_contract