Re: Building repository of biomedical tools and public data

Hello Nikola,

thanks for your trust in Debian Med.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:49:30AM +0000, Nikola Milosevic wrote:
> Recently, I have wrote a blog post about my idea of building a repository
> of open source biomedical tools mainly for extracting data from biomedical
> papers, drug labels and other openly accessible data as well as single
> endpoint that can cross reference all these data.Here is the blogpost:
> http://inspiratron.org/blog/2015/12/12/open-source-effort-to-bring-all-open-biomedical-data-together/
> .

Sounds interesting.

> It created quite a spark on the net and I have more than 10 people on board
> already who would like to make this happen. I was also suggested to contact
> you, whether you as Debian med would like to support this initiative, so we
> can make this happen together. This will in one hand make it easier to
> start it, since we don't need to register organization probably and
> probably there is some infrastructure (wiki, mailing list) that we can use.
> On the other hand, I believe Debian community can also benefit from this
> kind of effort.

I agree.  While I'm not sure how far the help of Debian Med might reach
we can surely do what we always do:  Packaging Free Software for Debian.
So if your project needs a centralised software repository we are most
probably the best partners you could find.  If some software is missing
in Debian we could either try to package it or also teach newcomers how
to create Debian packages[1].  Discussing things here on this mailing
list is fine - but please note that the usual list policy is to not CC
individuals (which I'm just now doing as an exception to make sure you
will receive my response).

There is also a Wiki[2] page you could create subpages from.

Feel free to discuss more ideas here and thanks again for contacting us

      Andreas.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed

--