Re: Updating the fis-gtm package to V6.2-000

On 09/30/2014 04:43 AM, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
Hi Bhaskar,

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:

GT.M does not require OpenSSL, does not statically link to it, and does
not in a strict sense, depend on OpenSSL.  But there is a looser
relationship / dependency.

hmm, while looking at the Debian package, I found the following comment:
"The upstream V6.2-000 CMakeLists.txt file built only one of three
 possible encryption plugin libraries. This meant that the debian fis-gtm
 package was missing a core piece of the distributed binaries. Upstream will
 apply this change to the next release after internal review."

Further the Debian package contains:
  libgtmcrypt_openssl_BLOWFISHCFB.so
  libgtmcrypt_gcrypt_AES256CFB.so
  libgtmcrypt_openssl_AES256CFB.so

So at least the version in the Debian package is actually linked with OpenSSL.

[KSB] Those *openssl* files are versions of the reference implementation of the plugin compiled with #include, #if, etc. configured to call call OpenSSL.  They are not actually linked to OpenSSL or other libraries - linking happens dynamically.  The user sets libgtmcrypt.so to point to the version of plugin s/he wants to use.  For example, on my laptop:

kbhaskar@bhaskark:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/plugin/lib*crypt*
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 40656 Sep 18 15:45 /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/plugin/libgtmcrypt_gcrypt_AES256CFB.so
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 40030 Sep 18 15:45 /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/plugin/libgtmcrypt_openssl_AES256CFB.so
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 40056 Sep 18 15:45 /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/plugin/libgtmcrypt_openssl_BLOWFISHCFB.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    33 Sep 18 15:45 /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/plugin/libgtmcrypt.so -> ./libgtmcrypt_gcrypt_AES256CFB.so
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 18688 Sep 18 15:45 /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/plugin/libgtmcryptutil.so
kbhaskar@bhaskark:~$

Most of the discussion of license interaction between copyleft and non-copyleft licenses at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License pertain to software used under non-copyleft licenses requesting services from (I deliberately avoid the use of "linking to") software used under non-copyleft licenses.  In this case, we have the reverse - a copyleft software (GT.M) requesting services from non-copyleft software (OpenSSL).  Regardless, it appears that there are different schools of thought on this.

If there is no specific Debian policy, and we agree that this is a gray area, I am happy to state here that we do not consider the calling of OpenSSL by the reference implementation of the plugin to create a derivative work - and as long as there is no derivative work, there is no interaction between the licenses.  [As I said in an earlier post, I consider the reference implementation of the plugin to be like a configuration file or a shell script that a user can use as-distributed, or customize to his/her needs.]

If there is a specific Debian policy, and this is not a gray area, then I propose that we address it by one of the following methods (from most preferred to least preferred in my opinion):

  • Include a statement in the README that says something like: As dynamic linking by the reference implementation of the plugin to software such as cryptographic libraries that are released under non-copyleft licenses is not considered to create a derivative work, there is no interaction between the license used for GT.M and those of cryptographic libraries.
  • Remove any claim of copyright from the reference implementation of the plugin (i.e., place the reference implementation in the public domain).
  • Remove the precompiled versions of the reference implementation of the plugin from the distribution and include only the source of the plugin (as I noted earlier, the GT.M binary distribution includes source code for the reference implementation of the plugin).  Use the post-install script to compile the reference implementation of the plugin.

Thorsten, please let me know what you think.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

As the OpenSSL license contains (advertising) restrictions[1] that are not allowed by the AGPL, the AGPL must be extended by an exception clause.

  Thorsten

[1]https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSL%23Licensing&k=%2FbkpAUdJWZuiTILCq%2FFnQg%3D%3D%0A&r=G5N3MCzgmIzHOZjVHAPkWPrIpVi%2BYUaznSzJrMCLquI%3D%0A&m=3KyT1ayTnNzWVGGXsiwKtyOsgNa%2FrEJIeNwnErx%2Fb60%3D%0A&s=3aeda9621ba072bc7721b930329d7738cd29ce1249255183cce96cde2d1b2d6f

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.